Cooking Show Offs!
Now that we are all spending more time at home this seems like a good time to ask some of our team what they are cooking.
Starting with ROSE
Rose's Cheesy Nachos Fries
Frozen bake at home fries
Pizza Melt Cheese Mix
Avocado, fresh lemon, coriander, salt, pepper, red onion, half a fresh tomato
Sriracha sauce, mayonnaise, smokey BBQ sauce
- Bake the fries in the oven following the instructions until they are good and golden.
- While the fries bake, make your guacamole by smashing your avo into bowl with a handful of chopped coriander, half a squeezed lemon, a quarter of a finely diced red onion, half a diced fresh tomato, a pinch of salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Now make your special sauce by mix 1 part mayonnaise, to 1 part smokey BBQ sauce and 1 part Sriracha sauce.
- Once the fries are cooked pile them up in the middle of a baking tray covered in foil
- Generously sprinkle/heap with the grated pizza cheese mix and place back in the oven under a high heat grill under the cheese is goopy, golden and bubbling.
- Carefully remove from the oven and transfer the fries still on the foil, on to wooden chopping board.
- Now dress to taste with the guacamole and special sauce
- EAT while hot
Next is MAHO
Japanese omelette rice
Find the recipe here (Omurice) https://norecipes.com/omurice-recipe/
Chicken Pesto Pasta
350g Penne Pasta
190g Jar of Pesto
400g Cooked Chicken Breast in strips
100g Baby Spinach Leaves
40g Grated Parmesan, plus extra for the top
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and keep aside 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pan. Add the pesto and cooking water and toss to combine.
- Add the chicken, spinach and parmesan cheese. Gently toss to combine.
- Divide the pasta among serving bowls. Sprinkle with extra parmesan.
To spice things up add in sun-dried tomato, chilli flakes and pine nuts.
Nancy’s Durban Damper
Don’t fuss too much about exact measurements!
- A couple of cups of self-raising flour.
- About ½ cup of cold butter
- Pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar
- Some cold milk to mix it into a dough
- Small red chilli chopped up fine, or dried herbs or even some curry powder
To make it savoury add some or all of the following
- Chopped chives or chopped spring onions
- Finely chopped small red chilli or dried herbs or even some curry powder.
- Turmeric powder will make it yellow! just for fun!
- Chop the butter into little squares then rub it into the flour till it all looks like breadcrumbs
- Add the rest of ingredients
- Stir all together, then add milk and form into a dough using your hands, don’t make it too wet
- Form into a ball place on a baking tray and press flat to about 10cm high
- Cut lines into it, then rub a bit of flour all over.
- Bake for about 25 minutes in a fairly hot oven.
Eat when hot with lots of butter!