Extra rich hot chocolate? Add cream.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
This recipe is made with a combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. The cocoa powder adds the distinct “hot cocoa” flavor, and the chocolate chips melt into the mixture making this drink extra creamy, rich and luxurious. A splash of vanilla extract rounds out all that chocolaty flavor and makes the perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Use milk instead of water for hot chocolate that is extra creamy and delicious. You can use any milk that you choose or even unsweetened almond milk.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and sugar, and heat until warm.
- When the milk is warm, add chocolate chips, whisking continuously until they melt into the milk.
- Then add a splash of vanilla extract.
- Serve immediately, this can be topped with marshmallows, whipped cream, chopped chocolate, or crushed candy canes.
You can make it exactly the way you want it!